View Single Post
Old 04-30-24, 01:06 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4574 Post(s)
Liked 6,558 Times in 3,765 Posts
Originally Posted by kanawa
Thx. In your examples I only see one steel spacer or no spacer. I thought on the SR headsets the fancy alloy one replaced the steel one. When they shipped SR new, only the fancy alloy one was included? Looking at NOS headsets that’s all that’s included.

Presumably if you needed to stack it out higher than that, it would be left for you or your shop to sort out(?).

Still puzzling out I’ve never seen both an alloy SR spacer and a steel one on the same stack and all my SR or NR bikes are set up with either 1 alloy or one steel spacer…

Thanks for all the guidance, community.
This was always an "as needed" strategy, you're right, they didn't come from the factory with both and yes when the steerer is/was too short they were often eliminated, the opposite direction of adding.

I thought I had some setup with both but didn't seem too. I would add a fancy one to a chrome one if possible before adding a chrome one to another.

At some point you have to improvise and go with the best solution you can live with. The tall stack on the Strawberry was a bit of a challenge with the extended HT and spacer, I originally intended to include a fancy spacer because everybody seems to like them including myself but once I tried to fit in, it didn't work out to me with so much steel bling and symmetry so it got the 2 chrome steels at the top and bottom of the spacer.

The centerpull theory is another good possibility.

Last edited by merziac; 04-30-24 at 01:12 PM.
Likes For merziac: