Old 04-30-24, 01:38 PM
swissycle

Bikes: '21 Schindelhauer Siegfried Road, ~'82 Mondia Halbrenner

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks for all the great insights and comments. The people have spoken…and the OP has not listened!

Indeed, as many pointed out, the Giant is the higher quality bike. But reason does not prevail in matters of the heart (leg?).

Originally Posted by Wildwood
These two bikes are so different that certainly one must 'suit your fancy' more than the other.
Since opening this thread, I’ve been A/B riding the two bikes on the same multi-surface routes. And the Modest Mondia (not to be confused with the more celebrated Super Mondia model) is more fun—and still comfy. Perhaps it planes? I’m not going to go all Bicycle Quarterly here with my stamped dropouts and Kenda tires, but any rate, the Mondia strikes a satisfying balance between smooth and responsive.

And with just six gears (plus that stubborn downshift that dissuades just shifting ‘cause one can), it fits my “shift with the legs first” singlespeed approach—but with a few more gears on tap.

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Allow me to throw a spanner in the works here, please.
Yes, please.

Originally Posted by non-fixie
The Mondia. No contest. Whatever the tubing, those demi-course / Halbrenner bikes generally make great light touring bikes. Excellent machines for long days in the saddle. Size and geometry are much more important for that application than the tubing decal, IME. Build it with your favorite parts and gearing that suits your area.

Gaspipe? Check. Stamped dropouts? Check. Nice bike for a week's worth of day trips with the missus in the Ardennes? Check.

That’s just the inspiration I need!

Last edited by swissycle; 05-05-24 at 08:37 AM.
Likes For swissycle: