View Single Post
Old 04-30-24, 04:56 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Thirty years ago, I bought a brand-new Trek 520 because it was designed as a loaded touring bike and that was what I wanted. It did that job very nicely. I still have it, although it hasn't seen the light of day - literally - in many years. I have no doubt that, with a little work, it would still do very well as a loaded touring bike. Having said that . . .

I am 99.8% certain I will never buy another Trek bike. I think Lance Armstrong is a terrible person who earned all the crap that has come down on him, but that isn't the reason. I don't like some of the business decisions they have made over the years, but that isn't the reason. For a long time, their offerings have excited ma about as much as an unsalted soft-boiled egg does. The reason is because their road bikes, in addition to costing stupid amounts of money, only come with aluminum or carbon fiber frames, and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool steel guy. That, and I'm 66, have all the bikes I can use, and have no great desire to buy any more of them.

I don't think that qualifies as a boycott, although the net result is pretty much the same.
The fact you have no interest in Trek probably bodes well for their future. Building bikes that consumers such as yourself would be interested in sounds like a Chapter 11 filing in progress.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged: