Old 05-01-24, 06:58 PM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Totally inappropriate and condescending. Try diabetes for a while and get back to me WRT sleeping bags.
Sorry to offend you. A thing that you could do, if there are things you carry that you find it offensive for folks to comment about, is to leave them out of your publicly-posted packing list, the one that you have posted a link to here, and requested comments on.

I am pretty sure that diabetic medications are available throughout Europe, and that a US prescription would be honored; you could also do mail-ahead, rather than carrying a multi-month supply. Getting healthcare in Europe in my experience is very very easy, and incredibly cheap and simple by US standards. But yeah, utterly your business, and none of mine, until you post a packing list, and ask for comments on it.

There is a small 2 at the end of the line, Socks usually come in pairs so it is customary to refer to 2 socks as one unit, in my part of the world
I am unable to tell what you are saying here? Maybe you are taking 2 pairs of socks after all? But then you have to have socks that weigh 18.5 g/pair for 2 pairs to weigh 37 g? My lightest socks (that suck) weigh 32.5 g/pair; the merino wool socks i actually take touring weigh 59 g/pair.

Yep. And guess what -- at the end of the first section of my tour I give a formal talk. But being academics, these people usually do not comment on footwear.
This is a truly extremely bizarre comment. I am a retired academic myself, so i can say that the idea that academics are, as class, unaware of the clothing or footwear of others, or that academics would never comment on these things, or even notice them, is just really bizarre and dead wrong. I was an ethnographer, and one of my favorite questions to ask folks was "What kind of shoes are you wearing today? Why are you wearing that particular kind?" I certainly have never met or spent more than a few minutes with any person without noticing what they are wearing (or not wearing) on their feet. If you mean that they will be cool with you wearing sandals, well, groovy, man.

And again, the context here is that you have asked for comments about this list of stuff. If you are so offended by folks commenting about things on this list, why did you post it?

I have not listed the pump (Lezyne micro floor) because it lives on my frame. Perhaps I should add the three stainless bottle cages as well?
Well, you do include the weight of your "Rear rack Tubus Cargo" at 681 g, which presumably also is attached to the frame. It just seemed a notable omission from this very detailed list.

You know, that list you posted, the one that you asked for comments on?