View Single Post
Old 05-02-24, 08:10 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
I believe you. I had to pay for a defective, damaged, recalled folding one piece handlepost, when they should have replaced it for free. All because I wasn't the first owner of the folder. Still, the situation you had isn't the same as what was done by Tern. I would know, as I'm one of the people who was locked out of their forums, not knowing why it was happening. I then started to see people create accounts here, and then seeing pictures of the damaged bikes, and injuries that had occurred. The entire time this was going on, Tern was telling everyone it was their fault. I can see the correlation between the two situations, but I don't think they're the same in totality.

I personally wouldn't purchase another Dahon bike, because they're overpriced, underspecced, and have crap customer service. I WOULD probably purchase a Tern, because they've come a long way after the all the crap that happened a few years back. But you haven't been hospitalized, have you? Seriously injured, right? Have the Dahon company, as a whole, gone PUBLIC to blame you for everything? Especially if you had been injured? Cut the bs grouch. The "great walls of babble" are sometimes unnecessary. Especially since I'm a Tern customer in this situation.
Well, I went to the Dahon dealer when I became aware of the handlepost recall. They swapped out the lower post quick, just lifted off the upper and didn't need to pull off the bars or anything. I loaded the folded bike in my car, took it home. It wasn't until the next day I noticed that the bars now canted to the left; The bore for the steering tube was out of square with the rest of the lower assembly. Called the LBS, they had already trashed my old lower. Contacted Dahon, sent them a pic from behind the bike showing seatpost and handlebar post now not parallel in the rear view, nope, no new lower. I've run across this in other industries; Something out of production tolerance? Don't trash it, use it as service parts. I wish I had tried to determine the cause of the recall before bringing the bike in, if a defect in the structure or latch, or just the safety catch; Everything seemed to work fine on my original base.
Likes For Duragrouch: