View Single Post
Old 05-02-24, 10:57 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
It's not a quick disconnect model. After repeated testing there is also some axial play.
If there is no preload tube between smallest outboard bearing and two bigger inboard bearings then the adjustment will affect only the outboard bearing.

The radial play is felt only around inboard bearings but not around outboard bearing.
First of all, you need to understand a critical difference between the adjustable angular bearings classic to bicycle.

Angular bearings require preload to eliminate play. In radial bearings that's achieved in the bearing itself. These bearings cannot tolerate axial preload, which leads to rapid bearing failure. Radial bearings are used where no meaningful axial loads are expected, so one adjusts to minimize axial play, short of adding an axial preload.

I suspect the pedals are fine, and the issue is your misconceptions and expectations.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: