Old 05-02-24, 01:05 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 2,643 Times in 1,104 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Based on Serial # - I believe that would translate to November 1973, 140th bike made?
Yup. Spot on.

Waterford (no longer building frames as of 2023) was/is run by Richard Schwinn and is the direct descendent of/split-off from pre-bankruptcy Schwinn's Paramount works. The Waterford website is still up and still has a bunch of Paramount information. This page has the skinny on the various Paramount serial numbering systems over the years. As you will see, the numbers weren't "al over the place" - they were consistent within specific time periods - but they did evolve, mainly in the direction of burying more information in the serial number itself.

Meanwhile, the OP has himself a nice bike. I agree that it probably has been repainted, and it most definitely has been re-decaled with decals from later in the 1970s. Here's a (cropped) photo from Schwinn's 1973 catalog showing the then-current downtube graphics and the side of the set tube that they put on all Paramounts then.

Personally, I wouldn't be too worried about period-correctness and more interested in building it up into a bike that makes me want to ride it, but as many of you know, I am a godless heretic on such things.