Old 05-03-24, 08:57 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4585 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 1,138 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
The video that I put in the initial post was about handlebars that are 30 cm on the hoods and 35 cm in the drops, and another at 24 cm and 33 cm. The comment of the presenter was that 30 cm felt surprisingly good, but 24 cm was too narrow. To be honest I got my figures of 30 and 38 by straddling my bike with a tape measure, putting my hands where they would be with various width bars, and seeing what just felt right. Handlebars are already made in a variety of widths, and it appears that the range of available widths is increasing over time. I'm less interested in width than the long each handlebar simply because the evolution of width is toward optimizing that. The evolution of bar reach vs. stem reach isn't toward optimizing that, as I now find out that's because both of the brain cells belonging to the UCI are not on speaking terms with the other one.
Instead of hoping for an unlikely new handlebar to be engineered, why not just use a normal reach bar and locate some elbow pads behind it to serve as the tops you want to rest your forearms on?

Personally, I tried riding 40cm bars after years of 42s and hated how they felt. But I wasn't trying to use them as aerobars.