View Single Post
Old 05-04-24, 09:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked 2,918 Times in 1,620 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Disclaimer: Cartridge bearing pedals may be different than the below instructions, which are for loose ball bearings.
The issue isn't whether they're loose type or cartridge, but the configuration of the rolling elements.

Most cartridge bearings used on bikes are deep groove radial bearings, which can only handle rsdial loads, plus very light axial loads, more about staying located, than handling any thrust.

Unless you can expand the inner race, there's no way to change the radial preload, which is already built into them.

Axially loading them only pushes the elements sideways, forcing the balls to ride the sides of the grooves, and will rapidly destroy the bearing.

There are also angular contact cartridge bearings, which work the same as bike cup/cone systems, and therefore need proper axial preload. However, offhand, I don't know if any bike parts use these.

If you look at the MKS schematic, you'll see a pair of low profile radial bearings which carry most of the load, and a deep groove radial bearing at the end that keeps the pedal from sliding off the spindle.

This design simply cannot tolerate preload, and I'm not surprised that MKS doesn't want folks "fixing" them.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: