Old 05-06-24, 01:41 PM
sbrudno
Old age cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Yesterday, I went up to the Monroe (Michigan) Classic Bike Show and Swap Meet. I definitely was not looking for another bike, but...here we are. A guy was starting to pack up his booth and asked me if I needed a Univega. I replied "Not really". Then he said "How about for a dollar?" How could I say no to that? The worst case would be that I sell it at the scrap metal dealer and get most of my dollar back. The frame appears straight, the dropouts are Suntour, and it makes a nice ping when I flick it with my finger. It has the tell-tale signs of being at least a decent road bike. I'm not sure of the model because all the decals that would provide any clues have been aggressively scratched off. Serial number starts with F, so it should be from 1977, made by Miyata. After a lot of Google searches and looking through old threads, I think it could be a Gran Rally. I believe I have everything I will need to put it on the road, so my goal is to do it with zero cash outlay. The paint is really banged up, so I might do a quick rattle can job before I build it up.

1977? Univega

The Monroe (Michigan) Classic Bike Show and Swap Meet is just over an hour from my home. It was a good show before, when it was in Ann Arbor, but it is bigger and better in the new location. While some people might hear "fairgrounds", and think dirty barns and muddy walkways, this one looks more like a country club. All the buildings are clean and well maintained, the grass is trimmed, and the walkways are paved. It is well worth the trip if you are in the Midwest. I got to meet jjhabbs , who came over from Chicago.
That looks to be a frame for someone 6'3" to 6'6". Too bad it was dismantled so much and treated so poorly; but that is the point of this thread. Must post the resurrected bike when done. Should be a beauty!
Likes For sbrudno: