It's in my blood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap gas

Maybe this thread should be called, "cheap driving."

It's been said before. But I have to wonder seriously how long
Americans will be able to drive cheaply, as they do now.

Driving is the overwhelmingly preferred method of getting anywhere in the U.S. There are many places where any other means of getting around are impractical or almost impossible.

The old saying goes, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." Another saying, coined by Andrew Carnegie, the 19th century Scottish-American immigrant self-made millionaire (billionaire?) who made his money in railroads and steel, goes like this: "Put all your eggs in one basket, then guard that basket!" It seems like this is what America has chosen to do concerning transportation by putting all her eggs in the automobile basket.

But I'm not convinced it will last. We will have cars for a long time to come, but I think perhaps fewer and fewer people will be able to afford them. This is, of course, exactly the opposite of the idea Henry Ford had. His idea was to make the car so cheap that millions could afford to drive one, whereas before his time, only the rich drove cars made painstakingly by hand.

Anyway, if driving continues to become more expensive, and the high cost of housing close to jobs continues to climb, I'll be ready.