Old 05-13-24, 11:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2653 Post(s)
Liked 3,207 Times in 1,830 Posts
Posting a thread here about bad multi-use path (MUP) behavior by cyclists is like starting one on a four-wheeler and quad bike forum and beginning the opening post with, "As a hiker and a lover of nature . . . " You may mean well, but the chances that anything good will come of it are slim.

For an idea of what you're up against, take a look around the Advocacy & Safety subforum. (I'm going to ask the moderators to move your thread to that subforum.) You'll see plenty of threads complaining about idiot walkers and dog owners, groups of idiots spread across and clogging paths, etc., etc.

Since all those idiots usually seem to share the path without problems until a bike rider comes along at speed, I'll reserve judgment of where the idiot label belongs. (Kidding. I know where it belongs.)

The proliferation of e-bikes is only going to make things worse, so you're probably wise to avoid the most popular MUPs.

By the way, running and cycling can be equally hard if you want them to be and you know what you're doing on the bike. Shift to a lower gear and spin the pedals at a rate close to your running pace. You'll know you're doing it right when your respiration rate on the bike matches your running respiration rate. Don't try it on a MUP, though, if you don't want to turn into One Of Them.

[Edit]

I agree that the OP's posting history might be suspect. So what? It's the mismatch between slower and faster traffic on the MUPs that causes problems, and it's worth being reminded of that fact every once in a while.

Fast riders on MUPs complain about slow trail users in exactly the same way that drivers complain about bikes on streets. Nothing is going to change unless riders in the one case and drivers in the other wise up.

Last edited by Trakhak; 05-13-24 at 11:49 AM.