Old 03-22-06, 10:01 AM
cruentus
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Variable Gas Tax Collected at the Pump

As most of you are probably aware, federal and state taxes are collected on each gallon of gasoline used as a motor fuel. The tax rate is identical, irrespective of the the type of vehicle into which the fuel is being pumped. A small fuel efficient car, a Honda Civic for example, is charged the same rate as a large, wasteful H2 Hummer.

I find this situation to be inequitable, there is no penalty for owners of large inefficient vehicles, that are purchased out of vanity, and cause high levels of pollution/road damage/accident injuries. I believe that this situation can be remedied, in part, by imposing variable gasoline tax rates at the pump. A variable gas tax would help to encourage the use of efficient cars and discourage the use of vanity rides like the SUV.

My proposal:

Install a small electronic transponder, similar to an electronic toll tag, at the filler neck of each vehicle. The transponder would identify the type of vehicle into which fuel was being pumped. A sensor on the gas pump nozzle would read the filler neck transponder info and charge the respective tax. A Honda Civic, for example, may be charged 25 cents/gallon, while an H2 Hummer would be charged $1/gallon.

Comments?