View Single Post
Old 03-22-06, 10:47 AM
misteralz
Fat Bird Enthusiast

Location: Scotland, which is not, and never has been in England...

Bikes: '01 Zaskar with a mish-mash o' bits

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
You bring up a good point. Actually the high mileage vehicles should pay more.
After all, they are using the same highways for more miles, and paying less tax.
A Prius should pay double the amount of tax a H2 pays.
I like your thinking - a Prius is an inherently more dangerous vehicle than an H2, and one that makes me angry every time I see one. Why? Because it's a hybrid. And that just doesn't work.
I can just imagine the board meeting...
"Right lads, we need to look like we're doing something about saving the planet"
"How about a small car made of lightweight materials and using a newly developed, super efficient engine, we'll be clever about the aerodynamics too..."
"Two words - Audi A2 - and its bombing in the sales charts"
"Ah, yes"
"How about we invest some serious cash in fuel-cell technology?"
"Well, the Germans have been doing that for years and have yet to come up with anything sales-worthy"
"Of course, I forgot"
"How about an electric car?"
"I think the limited range would make it unsaleable outside cities where folk interested in that sorta thing would be cycling anyway"
"hmmmm"
"okay, how about this - we make a car that's the size of a normal family saloon, yet has a tiny engine and an electric motor"
"well that sounds stupid, but explain your reasoning"
"well, see, there's folk who want to look like they're doing something but don't actually care in reality. We make a car which *could* be driven on an electric motor, but probably won't be, have a complicated setup to recharge the huge lead-acid batteries eating up bootspace, and consequently have something that weighs about the same as a small SUV but label it 'eco friendly' because it doesn't always rely on petrol - what do you think?"