Andrei
crankaholic

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rufvelo
Very important to understand what Dad really means by 'be any good', so it may be the best advice you've got. Are you thinking of a real pro career? Do you understand what it takes to be a pro and actually make a living from competitive cycling, not just getting a free bike or a jersey/goodies and some maintenance help from some the local bike shop? Do you understand that as a pro you may have to show up for a race even sick, in the worst of weather and do some mileage before abandoning? Very different from tucking in real cozy when you're a bit 'under the weather'. Maybe father knows best - he'd certainly know you better than all of us.

While cycling is not like tennis or violin, 16 may be too old if you've been laying on the couch all these years. If you haven't been actively developing yourself physically with some running etc. , you've already wasted some very good years of development especially in comparison with kids starting at 12. This is your competition, not someone who's a 'pretty good biker' at 45! If you have been active, then 16 is a good age to get into competitive cycling and build endurance and speed so you'll toughen up well by 20. Again I'm not talking about sprinting 200m, or 40K crits, but closer to 150-250k races. As a pro, you'll probably need to live, train overseas and sacrifice something, often family, other loved ones and education. Sheryl Crow may not travel to Europe to support you

So maybe Dad isn't right, or completely wrong for that matter, but 'being good' usually means good enough to support yourself doing it, whatever 'it' is. So clarify with Dad, before allowing anyone and everyone on some internet forum to trash him/his advice. And do keep that college degree firmly in mind.

I haven't really considered becoming a pro just because it will take up too much of my school time, as for being fit - I have been on a bike as far as I can remember, about a year ago I used to do long rides (300k) on a cheap mountain bike as a camping trip, i also run every once in a while (but ride way, way more often), I ride mountain bike at least once a week, do some trials once in a while, go to gym once or twice a week if weather is bad for riding - so I wouldn't call myself a lazy fat@$$. BTW, I can climb faster and longer then some (maybe even most) of the guys in the group that I ride with, but thats probably 'cause they are old