igloomaster
Drumming Bicyclist

Bikes: Redline 925

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edtrek
You're quite right to pay attention to it. Probably foolish question, but: Is there anything assymetrical in your hand position? Are you keeping either hand closer to the brake hoods etc ? Is there a mirror mounted on the left side, or a computer on the right, that causes the hands to rest in a different position?

This may be TMI but: My bicycle teacher has taught me to periodically take my hands off the handlebars and do a finger stretching exercise over the back of my hips - I'm not sure how to describe it. But every 45 minutes or so, he'll be up at the front (inevitably) and he takes his hand of the bars, places it over his rear hip / upper haunch, and goes through 5-10 reps of giving himself a little backrub, pinching his back between his thumb on one side and his four fingers on the other side. Watching him do it, we all follow suit.

It looks like it's a backrub, but the rationale is to give your fingers a chance to move differently than they have been. In my riding group we've all adopted it. I've googled this technique, looked for it in books, never found it anywhere.

And here's a diagnostic question: is the numbness all across the hand, or only on the little finger and on the side of the ring finger next to the pinky? That seems to differentiate between Guyon's Canal and other ulnar nerve problems which require a doctor's review...
Good food for thought. No, nothing assymetrical. Nothing mounted on the right side..mirrors, etc.
The numbness isn't really in my thumb or 1st finger area...more towards the other fingers, etc. A friend of mine was experiencing numbness/tingling in the hands, and it turned out to be an issue with his back. Something was getting pinched back there that was sending the tingles to his hands.