Old 03-24-06, 02:48 PM
oilfreeandhappy

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huhenio
You want to know the strangest thing?? ... I used to get numbed hand while riding upright - er in my well padded hybrid. Then I built my fixed conversion with plenty padding and guess what? More numbeness.

Now is all well, since I removed the padding and I alternate my grip from wrapping my fingers around the THIN NAKED handlebars in different positions. It took me a while but I did develop a really good grip - aka the handshake of death.

Off course eventually I lean on the bars using my palms, but not for very long and never with the bar "accross" the palm. It is more like holding a tennis raquet than flattly leaning on my palms.

At least it works for me ...
I agree with this diagnosis. I frequently stretch my hands, my arms, and even rotate my shoulders when riding. If you think about it, your legs are doing most of the work, and those muscles are calling for the blood flow and associated oxygen. By using these arm motions, your upper body will call for more blood flow. One other thing. This is very common for people who use a keyboard or mouse for 8 hours a day, especially if it's in just the right hand. If this is the case, make sure you get a good ergonomic chair.