View Single Post
Old 03-25-06, 07:06 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackasaurus
my 2 cents-
Rollers:
quieter
less wear on tires
a bit hard to get used to. no make that hard to get used to.
small danger factor
no variable resistance while on bike
bigger storage space
This no variable resistance isn't just a little wrong, it's completely wrong.

If you purchase rollers which you can get on in your top gear and spin easily, you purchased rollers that are too easy for you, or you need to get a resistance unit for that company's rollers. Kreitler and Minoura both offer it, though I have a friend with Kreitler who is a solid rider and with the smaller diameter rollers he still doesn't use the killer headwind.

I own Minoura Super Mag's, and I spin in 42x17 easily. I never get in the 53 ring, because the range of 42x17 through 42x12 provides all the resistance I need. This is all on the lowest resistance setting on the magnetic unit.

Don't be fooled into thinking you can't get resistance. Rollers are mega quiet even with resistance. It took me 4-5 rides to get really comfortable, but two months to be happy taking them out of the comfort zone of a hallway. They've done amazing things for my ability to keep a line and I can hear my spin evened out from before when I'd always here the "vroom-vroom" of my mashing style - to almost a nice continuous hum.

Plus, the real feeling of riding keeps you entertained. I've used them up to 4 days a week, but am usually only on them at most 1-2 days a week. I fold them up and take them to the local gym during my kids' Judo class now on Wednesdays and ride them next to a treadmill. Gets a lot of looks, but it's a lot more fun than sitting on a stationary bike.

VW