View Single Post
Old 03-27-06, 04:49 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
The true cost of cycling

Over the weekend, my wife did our taxes. She keeps fairly detailed records, so she took the opportunity to inform me that my cycling cost well over $2K last year, making it one of our single biggest expenditures.

This figure does not include new bikes or bike equipment received as gifts, nor does it factor in that I eat significantly more than I otherwise would. It does include a health club membership and locker rental fees (~$800/yr so I can shower off when I get to work and have a safe place to keep my bike) as well as money travelling to or participating in organized rides.

However, most of the stuff was really mundane. There was over $400 in tires and tubes alone, but there was a significant amount that went to buy small maintenance items such as chains, cables, and other things When I looked at what was bought, everything looked legit and nothing seemed extravagant except $108 for a set of racing tires for my nice bike.

Note that the figure does not account for money that would have been spent on gas, parking, wear and tear on the car, increased insurance (because we wouldn't be able to drive such an old beater so long), etc.

I told her that I thought it was a bargain and to plan for a similar amount this year. Fortunately, she agreed. Better yet, she not only didn't flinch, but even seemed excited when I told her that next year I'm going to want to add a tadpole trike to my stable....