J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worrying Dahon joint movement/play

Hi everyone,
This is my first real post on this forum. I've been riding what I believe is a Dahon Boardwalk (not sure...bought it here in Beijing and they don't seem to use the model names much) for the last year, and have been loving it. I took it with me when I visited Toronto in January, and then to Singapore in February -- my parents in Singapore fell in love with it and are now the proud owners of two Speed D7s! Anyway, as I was about to take it out this morning, I noticed there was a bit of play in the main joint, which I'd never noticed before. It is particularly noticeable if I push the handlebars forwards and pull the seat backwards, but I noticed it first when I was carrying the unfolded bike down stairs, one hand on the handlebars, one on the top-tube immediately behind the main joint.

I'm quite sure the movement is in the main joint (thought it was a loose headset at first) since partially disengaging the latch makes the play much more noticeable. I'd always found the bike to feel quite solid, so this is a worrying development. Any tips? I have yet to find an LBS I really trust around here -- most Dahon dealerships are strictly sales-only places -- so I'd like to fix this on my own. I'm including an old picture of the bike (in Tiananmen Square) to help identify it and the kind of latch it has.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tiananmenbike.jpg (80.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by gbcb; 03-28-06 at 11:58 PM.