View Single Post
Old 03-28-06, 01:17 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by kf5nd
Unscented baby wipes ! You'll spend $20 per year. Look for another safe place to keep your bike. Ask if you can bring it into your workplace.
No can do. I'm a professional and need to look like one. I cannot store my bike at the workplace. The janitor said it was OK if I used the utility closet because there was plenty of room. The boss did not agree.

A big reason why I no longer do pay rides... why pay to ride on public roads and eat the food and drink I carry with me?
Granted this is extra. It's sometimes fun to go someplace new -- much of the expense in this category can be hotel and meals on the road. My commuter's normally about 45lbs loaded. It's really fun to go for a nice long ride when you're light once in awhile.

There was over $400 in tires and tubes alone,

[I]Wow, that is really excessive. You need to be using much more hazard resistant tires, my friend.
I rode Armadillos for years. My route absolutely destroys them and I normally get 20-25 flats a year (sometimes more) and I go through 3 sets of tires. My pump (don't use C02 for commuting) is Topeak Roadmorph. At the beginning of this year, I switched to schwalbe marathon plus. Haven't had a flat for 3 mos which is a record for me so I'll ride nothing else in the future. They're very slow. Looking at the wear and tear, 2 sets a year should do the trick (about $160). I'll need at least one set of tires for my racing bike (around $100). I use CO2 for that bike, but I probably only get 1 or 2 flats a year because the routes I take are clean.

How many chains do you go through? And how many cables? Chains a couples times per year, cables once every few years? I don't see how you spend more than $75 per year on these items.
2, sometimes 3 chains on the commuter (SRAM). One chain on the racer (regular Ultegra). Chains are cleaned frequently. Cables are replaced once a year on the commuter as a maintenance item -- they're ususally still serviceable, but have noticeable corrosion. The commuter needs brakes replaced every year. I'm replacing the rims this year because they've been so eaten up.