View Single Post
Old 03-29-06, 01:28 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm certainly not a pro at biking or maintenance or anything like that. I've owned a Schwinn Rocket 2 mountain bike for a year. In the last year I've fallen in love with the idea of a folding bike and after much research, I bought an orange 2005 FS Downtube on Ebay. I've had it less than a week, and already love it. I've been reading through the posts in this forum for the last few weeks and have a few questions.

Many have talked about replacing the "BB" in their bike. Can someone tell me what that is? I know a little about bikes, but I guess not as much as I thought.

Also, are there other folder owners who have had problems specific to these bikes that they've found solutions to that would help a newbie like me to know what to expect?

I'm sure I will have many silly questions in the future, and appreciate any helps anyone offers

Congratulations on your selection of any make of folder since the idea of folders make them more closer, personal item like clothes or tranportation anywhere, rather than emphasis on components too much.

I do agree though with "you get what you pay for." Quality does reflect price to a certain extent. Beyond that, pure ego enhancement. When I had my first folder for less than a month-a Dahon Boardwalk-the front wheel's hub was actually coming apart. The bike shop that sold me the bike replaced the complete innards of the hub with a axle, cones and what not. My recent purchase-the Brompton-had few, if any, and none major problems when I took it in for it's first tune-up after purchase. I only could recommend that you carefully watch out for something loose, unbalanced steering, latches cannot tighten or open, loose spokes, and other such problems for the first month or so or 100 miles of use. The breaking in period is a very critical period of time in a new bike's life span. It can make of break the bike as well as enjoyment. If you take care of it promptly, you will probably have years of trouble free use ahead of you.