View Single Post
Old 03-29-06, 03:05 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
My few LBS's are more like grocery stores....you walk in, walk past the 18 year old clerk, go to the brightly stage lit wall, pick out whatever you need and ring 'er up. They carry either Specialized or Trek. That's it.

In my dreams is that ye olde bike shoppe with Italian frames hanging from hooks in the shadowy ceiling, the smell of rubber, parts bins with cool old stuff for sale (Record dt shifters for $10), Benotto tape in a fishbowl on the counter, a knowledgable guy who rides and is over 30 in shop apron & shorts, etc. etc. and they built the wheels locally. Dream on, GG. I've been in shops like that...just not where I live.

Anyway, I'm ordering my wheels from Sheldon Brown or Rivendell....reasonable prices for reasonable Open Pro wheels and many recommends for quality builds. Oh, and did I mention the fantasy owner has a beautiful single sister in her 50's who loves to ride and is a Perfect Woman who adores guys like me. And, she bakes berry pies almost as well as Irma.
When did you visit Phoenix cycles down at Eastbourne? No sister though.

They are into road riding- and would suit you down to the ground. Track bikes galore as there is a strong track element in the area- though where they race is beyond me. When they get onto Mountain bikes- they are Giant Dealers, not my cup of tea- And Kona. Perhaps its me getting fussy- but even Kona's are not what they used to be.
But on Mountain bike knowledge they are great.Stock of parts are what they sell. If the roadies, track racers or mountain bikers want it- they have it in stock. If they don't stock it- they will get it in a week.

Only thing is the Father- Must be in his 70's now and semi-retired. He can be prickly. Bit retro and can't understand why people want these new fangled bits on their bikes. He used to race on a 35lb bike so all the youngsters are soft, and he still proves it on the 100 mile time trials. Although he has updated his bike a bit from when he was racing- it is still a good solid bike that will never let him down.

Problem is- it is shops like this that are in danger of closing- They do not stock the wallmart quality bikes and there are a couple of local stores that do- so very few newcomers buying bikes from them- and as they tell people- to repair their new $100 bike is going to cost £150 so it never gets done. Then there is a large Bike chain shop 30 miles away. I go there and look but get fed up with the staff telling me that I need a new widget- or that My tandem is now out of date and I ought to get one of the newer models that is 5lb heavier- has disc brakes that don't work and suspension that I would not put on a solo. They are just out to sell, and as they do get their bikes muddy once a year, they are experts.

I am lucky that I have your dream shop- but unless the public start using them- it may be just that. A dream that I used to have.

Spike Milligan