View Single Post
Old 03-31-06, 01:37 AM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help with Ultegra cranks

I'm hoping this isn't a double post, but my previous try seems to be messed up. Anyway...

I'm hoping someone has an idea to help me out here. Last season I bought a new bike with Ultegra 10spd triple setup up front (Hollowtech external BB). Almost right away I noticed the cranks weren't spinning as freely as they should---there's a fair amount of resistance. With the chain off, I'd give the cranks a spin and they'd quickly come to a stop after making one revolution or less. All of my other bikes' cranks spin much more smoothly, and if I give their cranks a good spin, they rotate freely for at least four revolutions.

Shortly after I got the bike, I took it in to a couple shops to see what they thought. They admitted they didn't have much experience with the new Ultegra stuff but suggested it might just need a break-in period.

Now, a year later, the "breaking-in" hasn't done anything to free up the cranks. They still don't spin freely and will only make one revolution or less when I give 'em a push.

Any input?