Old 03-31-06, 07:42 PM
mcavana
the commutor / tourer

Bikes: trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i am different than most i guess... What is most dangerous to me in NE florida is people hanging 3/4 of the way out the window as they pass screaming as loud as possible! I ALWAYS use my ipod at a low volume setting... I have found that having some backround noise (music) makes these almost constant happenings less starling, and as a result, safer. I don't buy the whole traffic safety thing... if set at the right volume, the music is no louder than the wind. I can still hear cars coming from behind just as good as without.

I find that I have a tendancy to pedal much harder, and more consistently when there is a nice beat in the backround. For me, it is obviously way more enjoyable to have music in the backround most of the time... that is not to say though that there are not times when I prefer no music at all, and just want to take in the natural sounds of where I am at.

It is illegal in the state of florida to wear headphones, but the police simply don't pay attention to that law. It is probably because they know it is ********, and they themselves use them when they go for a ride.

It is like anything else... use them responsibly, and you will be fine.

Mike

PS....

I do recomend you getting a quality MP3 player with lots of storage. I use an arm band, and have over 1500 songs on my IPOD. I always keep it on shuffle, and have good enough music that I never have to adjust it, or look for a song when I am riding. I turn it on and leave it alone until I am off the bike.