Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by TheRCF
That's useful info, thanks.

I'm presently leaning towards trying an armadillo on the rear, where most of my flats are. That way I'm risking less money and, if they work on the rear for minimizing flats, I'll know they work well.

I am concerned about the ride, though my natural tendency is to sacrifice comfort for speed. That's why my Conti's are pumped up to the full 120 lbs.

These are my concerns:

1. How well will they avoid flats
2. How well will the sidewalls hold up.
3. How hard will they be for me to get on and off.
4. How well will they handle turns or wet roads.
5. How rough will the ride be.

Bob
1) I found they avoided flats very well.
2) Well I had 3 disintegrate on me at the sidewalls and they all had very little wear. So I gave 'em up as a bad deal. Still some people don't have that problem. Maybe I just got a bad lot.
3) I don't recall having any particular problem but then again I used to use MA40 rims and it was pretty "challenging" at times to get tires on and off. So with that standard, I wouldn't notice a problem unless it was pretty bad.
4) As I recall pretty well.
5) The ones I had seemed wider then my current tires (same size). I wonder why in tires a mm is not a mm. Do all tire companies have their own system or something? The ride was fine but it might have been because the tires were big - bigger tires easier ride.