Old 04-04-06, 11:10 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
This is just a spattering of my impressions and opinions of the Dallas area bike shops.

Don Johle's Bicycle World (Garland):
Props -- Down to earth guys. Great bargain bin, (right next to the "Free Stuff" box!). Great selection of items for vintage bikes.
Dis -- Small selection of new bikes, (mostly Raleigh). Closed on Sundays.

Bicycles Plus (Highland Park):
Props -- Large selection of bikes, (performance & cruisers). No high-pressure sales.
Dis -- Prices are a bit higher than at other shops. Usually have to order vintage parts.

Richardson Bike Mart (three locations):
Props -- Has most everything, in stock at a fairly decent price. Wrenches are helpful and knowledgeable.
Dis -- Some snobby, elitist employees. Sales reps can be tenacious. Is becoming the Wal-Mart of bike shops, (i.e. - opens new stores near other shops; other shops go under).

Plano Cycling and Fitness:
Props -- Largest selection of components, in stock that I've seen, (seatposts, seats, handlebars, pedals, etc).
Dis -- Prices are high.

Wheels in Motion (Dallas):
Props -- Lots of kids bikes, trailers and cruisers.
Dis -- More of a showroom; tools and parts usually have to be ordered.

XL Cycle (Plano):
Props -- Helpful staff. Has some obscure items not found in other stores.
Dis -- A little pricey. Small selection of tools.

Bicycle Exchange (Carrollton):
Props -- Scads of used and vintage bikes and accessories. Also has some obscure items not found in other stores.
Dis -- Limited number of newer bikes and accessories. Staff not especially friendly, if you don't have your checkbook handy.

Cycle Spectrum (Plano):
Props -- I got nothin'.
Dis -- Staff seems unknowledgeable and unwilling to look up stuff that I have been interested in purchasing. Selection of some accessories matches what I can find at the local sporting goods store.