Thread: Toronto Fixed
View Single Post
Old 04-05-06, 12:19 PM
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
Its supply and demand... there is very little on-street parking left in toronto, so they can charge alot, and then also fine alot to keep the turnover quick. Its way way worse in Paris, where there are twice as many cars in half as many spaces; and you're paying in euros too. Its just another luxury tax on automobiles and is one of the few alternative ways cities have to raise money short of begging the provinces, setting up toll highways (not a bad idea but political suicide) or totally rearranging the property tax system. Cars are damaging to the enivironment, people and the physical fabric of the city and should be rightly gouged for it if they don't park where they are told.
i would agree that in a city that is more crowded that toronto and one that has a user-friendly mass transit system cars should be taxed/ticketed more frequently. i wish the TTC were a more usable system but obvioulsy more people wish to drive because of it. my problem is with the parking cops who seem overly strict, who seem to ticket cars even when parked legally (i have recieved several tickets this way), simply to make money. it's very inconsistent. perhaps the city should impose a yearly driving tax instead of hitting some folkd with tickets when they feel like it.