Old 04-06-06, 05:13 AM
MikeHunt79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need bits for wierd bottom bracket on an old 70's roadie bike

First post from me, so hi everyone.

Ok, the bike in question is older than me... It's a Claud Butler Majestic from the early 70's and it's got a gold frame and forks. Now... When riding it the other day, the pedal felt like it was bent, but it turned out to be a snapped bottom bracket shaft! It snapped where the square taper on the non-drive side. I mananged to coast the rest of the journey.

Now, I managed to get the bottom bracket apart and I've never seen anything like it before - Loose ball bearings with cups, and there was even some paper in the frame to keep the BB cups in place! I took the whole lot out, and went to put a spare shimano square taper BB that I had. Even tho the threads seemed to be in the same direction, the threads would not engage on the drivers side no matter how I tried. Maybe the threads are slightly different density or size? Could I get a BB that would fit and be square taper?

I need to get this bike going again, as it's a great runabout. So maybe I could get some bits for the old and brocken BB? Now, the shaft has definately had it, and it will need replaceing. Also, one of the ball bearing cups has cracked and I will need a new one of them... I'm guessing this sorta BB mustv'e been common in the 70's but I wasn't even born then so I am totally clueless here!