cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeHunt79
First post from me, so hi everyone.

Ok, the bike in question is older than me... It's a Claud Butler Majestic from the early 70's and it's got a gold frame and forks. Now... When riding it the other day, the pedal felt like it was bent, but it turned out to be a snapped bottom bracket shaft! It snapped where the square taper on the non-drive side. I mananged to coast the rest of the journey.

Now, I managed to get the bottom bracket apart and I've never seen anything like it before - Loose ball bearings with cups, and there was even some paper in the frame to keep the BB cups in place! I took the whole lot out, and went to put a spare shimano square taper BB that I had. Even tho the threads seemed to be in the same direction, the threads would not engage on the drivers side no matter how I tried. Maybe the threads are slightly different density or size? Could I get a BB that would fit and be square taper?

I need to get this bike going again, as it's a great runabout. So maybe I could get some bits for the old and brocken BB? Now, the shaft has definately had it, and it will need replaceing. Also, one of the ball bearing cups has cracked and I will need a new one of them... I'm guessing this sorta BB mustv'e been common in the 70's but I wasn't even born then so I am totally clueless here!

Replacement BB's are cheap and it's common practice today to replace the old cup and cone types with a modern cartridge type. You just need to determine what threading you have (English, Italian, French, or whatever) and the spindle/axle length. A good reference to help you make these determinations is here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#threading

If you are not positive about what threading you have then you should take the bike to the LBS and let them figure it out. Claud Butler are English(UK) bikes, so your BB is most likely of the "English or British ISO" type. If you cross thread the BB tube on the frame you will be in for a more expensive repair and could possibly damage your frame. A new cartridge, with installation, should cost about $50 at a shop
(I'm assuming $20 for the BB and $30 labor).

When you thread in a BB the cups (or cartridge) should thread in easily by hand. If you take two or three turns and it starts to bind then it's cross threaded. Back it out and try again. When you get to where it will thread in four or five turns, then you are good to go. Do not put a wrench on your BB until you can finger tighten it a substantial part of the way (5-10 turns).

P.S. Mike, has anyone seen you????

Last edited by cascade168; 04-06-06 at 05:43 AM. Reason: humor