View Single Post
Old 04-11-06, 01:17 PM
brigadon

Bikes: Giant Yukon MTB ex-EBay planning to upgrade one day if I get the urge.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the comments.

I can see that the whole business of HRMs is not as simple as the first impression given in the manufacturers manual.

Why I decided to get one was firstly to get an indication that I wasn't in danger of killing myself through over-exertion.

Secondly, I needed to get some independant reassurance that my usually moderate level of exertion was sufficient to gain some fitness and a bit of strengthening without risking the pleasure I've been getting from my recent return to biking.

Thirdly, there will be a level of exercise intensity below which my present fitness will go backwards and this prospect seems real with advancing age and inconsistent motivation. The HRM might be useful in judging this threshhold.

I agree with Big Paulie that I will probably get bored with the new gadget and sell it on EBay before long....the young shop assistant who sold it to me said as much. In the meantime my wife appreciates that I'm taking some steps to avoid overdoing things.

>> I hope you got an American calibrated heart rate monitor.

>>Those from Europe and other countries use metric heart measurement and >>can give you faulty information.

>>The heart rate conversion formula from metric is metric * 1.6 = American heart rates.

DnvrFox........what does this comment mean?
Did I miss a funny?