View Single Post
Old 05-30-03, 06:32 AM
RainmanP
Mr. Cellophane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, based on your stated use and brightness needs this discussion becomes irrelevant until you make some decisions. Here is why.

1. You will be riding in the wilderness so there will be no electricity to recharge batteries, BUT you need bright light for the type of riding you will be doing.

2. Only a high quality rechargable battery light system will provide adequate light for off road riding in the dark. We are talking at least $100.

3. The most powerful quality dynamo I know of, the Dymotec at 12V (most are 6V) will only power a 5W light and costs about $150-170. Some 6V units will power up to 4W. Mike from the Snowy Midwest knows of some 12V Chinese dynamos that are less, but I don't know anything about quality or reliability, and I don't know where you can get them.

4. Don't even think about trying the $10-20 unit from Target. You will have to strike a match to see if the bulb is lighting up.

What exactly are you planning to do? Maybe we could give you advice. Are you planning to do a tour riding off road all night without seeing civilization for weeks?

Your best compromise might be the Cateye 5-LED headlight that uses 4 AA batteries. Battery life is supposed to be very good. I have one, but I am using NiMH rechargables that I keep topped so I can't talk about specific hours of use. I believe they claim 30 hours. In your case you could just carry one or two extra sets of batteries that wouldn't weigh that much. I would suggest using only Duracell Ultras.

BTW, I have experience with most types of lights, including
Vistalite rechargable system with 5W, 10W, and 15W light heads - bright with 10W or higher, but only 1.5-2 hours per charge.

Small Cateye (HL1500?) micro halogen bulb using 4AA - 1.2W light, dim, minimally inadequate for real lighting but provides some visibility.

Dynosys LightSPIN dynamo with Hella FF lamp 4W bulb - very nice light system for commuting.

Cateye 5-LED light - seems as bright as the 4W dynamo light, adequate illumination, good battery life.

Just some things to consider. In your case, unless you are planning to do off road riding at night at speed I would go with the Cateye 5 LED light. Costs about $35, but you might find it for less.
Regards,
Raymond

Last edited by RainmanP; 05-30-03 at 08:38 AM.