View Single Post
Old 04-13-06, 02:16 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbip
What I'm trying to say is anyone can call themselves a RACER, but at least temper it with an honest grading of your ability. I constantly hear " I race crits" or " When I raced at so and so this past weekend"
and thats fine. Anyone that will line up against others in a competitive sport is surely a passionate and competitive person, but just because you line up doesnt mean you are a Racer. It means that you have the desire, guts and ego to place yourself in a win lose situation. I can run the 100 meter dash but I'm not a sprinter, I can dunk a basketball but that doesnt make me a player, hell, I can hit a golf ball farther than almost anyone on this planet but that doesnt make me a Golfer.
If everyone would be honest about there abilities, we would all recognize that until you get paid to do these things we are all just great amature competitors.
Just because you "race" someone it doesnt make you a racer, its who you race that is important.
Line up with Danielson and see how fast he disappears on the horizon. All the rest of this is just talk. Typical of most Forums.
I think I understand what you're trying to say, but it doesn't really make sense on a logical level. I have never seen anyone on this forum (although I've only been on here since last August) try to deceive anyone into believing that they are what they aren't. Plenty of people on here race.....and most, if not all, race reports indicate what category they're racing in, the type of race, etc.

So......let's pose this. You're on vacation, brought the golf clubs with you. As you're taking them out of the trunk to bring up to the hotel room, another guy a few cars down notices you have clubs, and is looking for a partner the following morning to play with.

Stranger: "Fellow golfer I see..."
You: "No"
Stranger: "Well, you have....golf clubs....you don't play?"
You: "Yes, I play golf"
Stranger: ".......ok.....so you play golf, but you're not a golfer?"
You: "That is correct"
Stranger: "Can you explain that to me, I don't understand."
You: "Well, I'm not on the PGA Tour"
Stranger: "..........."
You: "To consider yourself a golfer, you have to get paid and be at the top level of the sport"
Stranger: "..........."
You: "So do you consider yourself a golfer, just because you happen to play golf?"
Stranger: "Yeah, well.....I have to go....oh, and here's my card in case you ever need someone to talk to. I'm a psychiatrist."
You: (mutters under breath) "What a quack."