Old 04-13-06, 02:27 PM
cbip

Bikes: Felt F2C, Fuji Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
I think I understand what you're trying to say, but it doesn't really make sense on a logical level. I have never seen anyone on this forum (although I've only been on here since last August) try to deceive anyone into believing that they are what they aren't. Plenty of people on here race.....and most, if not all, race reports indicate what category they're racing in, the type of race, etc.

So......let's pose this. You're on vacation, brought the golf clubs with you. As you're taking them out of the trunk to bring up to the hotel room, another guy a few cars down notices you have clubs, and is looking for a partner the following morning to play with.

Stranger: "Fellow golfer I see..."
You: "No"
Stranger: "Well, you have....golf clubs....you don't play?"
You: "Yes, I play golf"
Stranger: ".......ok.....so you play golf, but you're not a golfer?"
You: "That is correct"
Stranger: "Can you explain that to me, I don't understand."
You: "Well, I'm not on the PGA Tour"
Stranger: "..........."
You: "To consider yourself a golfer, you have to get paid and be at the top level of the sport"
Stranger: "..........."
You: "So do you consider yourself a golfer, just because you happen to play golf?"
Stranger: "Yeah, well.....I have to go....oh, and here's my card in case you ever need someone to talk to. I'm a psychiatrist."
You: (mutters under breath) "What a quack."
Finally, someone with a good point. I guess what everyone is missing and possibly myself is " I " think of a Racer as a Professional bike rider, now a Recreational Racer is what I think of when I see ravenmore and others. That doesnt mean that someday they might not be PRO, or may have been a pro at one time, but they are still reacreational racers. Right?
Everyone that rides is a cyclist. I think my confusion is that your an Amature Racer until you get paid to ride for someone.
So lets call ourselves what we are, Amature cyclist, Amature Racer working up to Pro someday.