Old 04-13-06, 03:35 PM
cbip

Bikes: Felt F2C, Fuji Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
On that note if someone asks, I refer to myself as a competitive cyclist rather than a racer, or I say I race road bikes.
And I beat a rice burning civic at the drag strip so that makes me a drag racer! I also hit a drive past Tiger Woods so I am a Pro Golfer and I once scored a basket on George Gervin( of course who didnt) so I must be a Basketball Player.
I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I'm just pointing out that when you tell someone that you race Road bikes they most likely think that equates to the Pro level rider.
It seems like everyone I meet is either racing crits or TT's or is on some "cycling team". It sure seems like its easy to be called a racer in this sport but in every other sport I know of you have to get drafted or get through a qualifiying tournament.
The distinction should be " I race amature races" or " I race on the semi-pro level" or maybe "I am racing Cat 1 and hope to get picked up by a team.
Why does not calling yourself a racer make you less of a rider but calling yourself a racer give you stature?