View Single Post
Old 04-15-06, 06:17 AM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Well, Brian, you've got the right idea. I have ridden motorcycles all my adult life, but unlike you, I loved touring on them. Have travelled all of the West and much of the country that way, and I still have a BMW in the garage, but I don't ride it much anymore. I love to bike more and need the exercise. On a motorcycle there is an inevitable conflict between enjoying the road and enjoying the scenery, and frequently the pull of a nice, twisty ribbon of highway wins. I can't tell you how many zillion times I knew there was an awesome view out there but I was just too involved in the riding experience to slow down and take it in. The 60 mph view definitely does not provide the clarity you get at 12 mph.

I also was torn between taking motorcycle trips and backpacking, another activity I love, partly because of the slow pace and ability to absorb the details of one's surroundings. It just never occured to me to take up bicycle touring, even though I have mountain biked for years. Only after I did the AIDS Ride from SF to LA in 1996 (on a mtb with slicks), did I see the possibilities. It was supported of course, but the enjoyment of the backroads, and sense of accomplishment from that trip was amazing. I wanted to do more, but the corporate world, a masters program, and other types of travel held it off for a while.

When I chose to leave that lifestyle a few years ago, I started to think about bike touring again, so I suppose I picked it. Since I love to bike and camp, it was the logical next step, and last year I finally enjoyed a few short tours on my 520. It is wonderful. I can go at a speed that allows me to fully absorb the details of my surroundings, yet cover some ground each day, and enjoy the pleasure of camping. Such a perfect combination of activities. I don't like biking on highways, so am limited in some the routes I am willing to take, but there are still lots of options. My big plan this year is to try some off-road touring and eventual goal is the GDMBR.

Good luck with your touring - I think you will find it most enjoyable.

Last edited by mtnroads; 04-15-06 at 11:02 AM.