View Single Post
Old 04-16-06, 09:21 PM
ZachS
\||||||/

Bikes: highly modified specialized crossroads and GT hybrid (really a [formerly] 12-speed bmx cruiser, made before 'hybrid' took on its current meaning), as yet unmodified redline 925, couple of other projects

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Optimum size of 8inches. Companies tried bigger but got to much power and not enough modulation. Companies have gone the way of more pistons instead of size. There was one trials bike with a 24" rotor. Damn funny looking thing

There is an optimum distance from the centre of the hub for both modulation and power.
Hah, I've seen a picture of that bike. Rad.

Do you have a link to a technical article explaining why 8" is the optimum distance, or could you at least lay it out for me in a little more detail? It's not that I don't believe you, rather that I have the general impression that you know what you're talking about, and I'd like to learn more.

Is it just that larger rotors move too quickly for the pads to get a good grip on them with a light touch? How do power and modulation vary in % terms with different size rotors?

I have never had a problem with modulation using linear-pull or hydraulic rim brakes... Aren't mud clearance and mounting issues relating to large tires and suspension designs the most important reasons to use discs?