Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachS
Hah, I've seen a picture of that bike. Rad.

Do you have a link to a technical article explaining why 8" is the optimum distance, or could you at least lay it out for me in a little more detail? It's not that I don't believe you, rather that I have the general impression that you know what you're talking about, and I'd like to learn more.

Is it just that larger rotors move too quickly for the pads to get a good grip on them with a light touch? How do power and modulation vary in % terms with different size rotors?

I have never had a problem with modulation using linear-pull or hydraulic rim brakes... Aren't mud clearance and mounting issues relating to large tires and suspension designs the most important reasons to use discs?
No I don't have an official article. I just remember there being lots of trial and error early on with sizing. They tried 10 and I think even 12 and pulled back due to the sizing being toooo effective and causing damage. I think there was even a company that tried dual sided disc's for a proto. Common theory is power goes up by about 33% per 2 inches. Numbers I don't have, nothing beyond internet babble and some truth from my own experience.

My big seller for hydros is 3 fold
1 - power and modulation are consistent. linear pull on a downhill bike will burn through the rubber causing inconsistent power and modulation as well as REALLY wear down the pads Keeping in mind I am talking quality. The same downhill run can affect poorly made hydros in similar ways. Oil heats up etc...
2 - warp a tire much? I don't really have to elaborate
3 - muddy wet conditions do not affect braking at all.