View Single Post
Old 04-17-06, 01:46 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I wear a pair of $10 TYR goggles with rubber (or is it silicone?) seals. Goggle recommendations can be a problem because what works well for someone may not work well for someone else. It's really all based on the shape of your eye sockets.

After struggling for some time with finding the right goggles, here are a few things I have learned:

1. There is no relationship between the price of goggles and how well they work. I went through several pairs of Barracuda goggles but couldn't get them to stop leaking. I wanted to believe that they were better because I paid so much for them. I thought it was the way I had them adjusted, but I was wrong. Though they are probably very good for some swimmers, they're not good for me.

2. The way a sample pair feels on your face in the store has very little relationship to how leak-proof they will be in the water.

3. Saliva is the best anti-fog treatment for your goggles. Better yet, it's free.

Here's what I did to find the perfect pair of goggles. I bought 3 different pairs of cheap goggles and tried all of them out. Once I found one I liked, I went back and bought 2 pairs of the same goggles, just in case they stopped making them later. Trial and error is the best test. Hope this helps.