Old 04-18-06, 07:13 PM
stargazer48

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
As you may remember the Swift is my 1st folder. I have been riding it exclusively and I really love it. It is pretty fast even with Marathon Plus tires. In the streets of NY, I am able to do 15 to 19+ mph with little effort. I have been experimenting with folding the bike and going into various places. I went to 2 different DMV offices and several supermarkets with no problem. I will try a restaurant next time. I did go into a post office but I didn't feel like folding my bike so they gave me a hard time. I may return there but this time fold it 1st.

I do have some issues that I need to address.

1) I am concerned about the chain coming off or jumping to my smaller chain ring when I hit bumpy streets at higher speeds. I am very concerned about this happening when I might need to quickly accelerate to move out of the way of traffic.
I was thinking of putting in a front derailleur to prevent the chain from jumping but what do I do when I eventually will want to shift down to the 39 chain ring (definitely not in NYC though).

2) My gearing is 54/39 with an 11-34 external cassette. Because NYC is fairly flat, I find that I could use a higher gearing than 54/11 when going down a very minor decline. I like spinning but there is a limit.

Any suggestions to resolve for my 2 issues?

Last edited by stargazer48; 04-18-06 at 07:23 PM.