Old 04-18-06, 08:44 PM
Bedminster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another old timer agrees

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Since someone has to do it, I'll chime in for V-brakes. Do your brakes stop you now? Do you like spending money on something that really isn't necessary in all but a few conditions but is fashionable? (I gonna catch hell for that )

Look, I'm a very large person. I have a touring bike with cantilever brakes and I carry touring loads on it (me plus bike plus touring gear). All told it weights in excess of 300 pounds. The bike also has cantilever brakes and I've never had a problem stopping with them. I've never blown a tire because of excessive heat build up and, when I've broken a spoke, I was able to adjust the brakes so that they would still stop me but not keep me from moving down the road.

I also have a hardtail with V-brakes - more properly, linear brakes - that I ride off-road in some pretty hairy conditions and never had a problem with it stopping either, even in a driving rain storm or snow or mud or sand or just about any other medium you can name except, possibly, jello. But I haven't tired jello, so I can't say.

I also have a dual suspension bike with hydraulic brakes. They are powerful. They will stop you - NOW! But I have yet to experience the so called "superior modulation" that everyone says hydraulics have. They are like an on/off switch. I have to be much more careful in their application or I feel like the bike is going to pitch me on my head! You DO NOT want to grab a fist full of brake lever in a panic with the hydraulics! It's a good way of doing self-inflicted dentistry! I personally find that linear brakes (and cantis) have a smoother, more progressive feel then the hydros. That's what I would call modulation.
My experience is limited to linear pulls and riding w/others w/hydraulics.
Modulation to me infers an ability to control the degree of braking. My experience is that the hydraulic guys seem to eat up the trails as they lock up.
I have yet to get out on my new ceramic rims w/linear pulls. My expectation is they should be even better. I will report after I get out on them. (Too many coaching responsiblities currently)
BTW, anyone else using linear pulls w/ceramic rims?