View Single Post
Old 04-20-06, 09:50 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6250 Post(s)
Liked 4,273 Times in 2,393 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank Rearden
No to both. You just posted something that was incredibly ridiculous based upon my experience, and the experience of the folks I ride with.
"Your experience". Not mine. I

Yes to all of the above. I carry the neccessary layers/gear in a Camelbak. Remember that guy (you) who claimed that "You can't really carry extra clothes and other gear in a CamelBak."?
Perhaps I should have said "I" can't (and don't what to) carry extra clothes, yada yada. You took it the wrong way. Perhaps I took your comeback as an insult but go back and reread it. You came off as a little strong.

Yes. And as an added bonus, I'm not limited to relatively poor brakes and I don't have a bike with compromised handling that's bogged down to the point that I can't have as much fun while logging those miles.
I'm not limited by poor brakes either (my argument all along) nor is my bike handling compromised by a rack. I find having that much junk on my back compromises my enjoyment. I'd like somewhere else to put it but bike makers don't want to give us that option because it would make their bikes too 'freddish' if they were to add a little tab.

You need to pay more attention to your own arguments. You're the one who claimed that clothes/gear couldn't be carried in a Camelbak.
No. I'm the one who said I didn't want to carry my stuff in a Camelbak. You are the one who is claiming that I "have to" carry my stuff in a Camelbak. I would rather not but because the great Mr. Rearden has spoken...

Backpacks have these things called "compression straps." If you tighten them your load won't hit you in the head when riding drops. You should try it sometime...
Oh thank you for point out what those straps are for. I always wondered but I guess I'm just too stupid to understand.

One of my bikes has eyelets. My other two bikes don't have eyelets. They serve different purposes and eyelets wouldn't be work on the bikes that lack them.

The presence or absence of eyelets doesn't neccesarily hurt/help my riding. But that is another one of your goofy tangents. The topic of discussion is your ridiculous claims about Camelbaks not being able to carry clothes/gear.
And why wouldn't eyelets work on the bikes that don't have them? Is there something unsafe about adding them? Do they compromise the strength of the bike? Or just the image?

The lack of eyelets was an aside (that you seem to be overly focused on) about a pet peeve of mine. I like having somewhere, other than my back, to put stuff. What's wrong with that?

What you do has absolutely nothing to do with my image. That's a red herring. The discussion has been about linear pull brakes vs. disc brakes. You're the one that made the absolutely ******** claim that a disadvantage of a bike with discs was that you can't carry clothing/gear in a Camelbak.
Now you are just being insulting. I am sorry that you took it the wrong way. I should have said "I" "don't" want to carry my stuff in a Camelbak. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn about how you carry your stuff. I'd like the option to carry stuff the way "I" like to carry it. But because of "image" I don't have the option. I have to resort to band-aids like seat post racks or other options.

I'm also a roadie and I think your stereotype is almost a dumb as your Camelbak claim.

Why am I a poser(sic) because you think that clothes/gear can't be carried in a Camelbak?
You are a poser (which is the correct spelling by the way) because you think that what is good enough for you is good enough for everyone else. Or at least that is how you have come across.

I like options. I like to do things my own way. I don't tell people that they can't do something just because I don't do it that way. I also don't like people telling me that I "have" to do something their way. I may have said "you can't carry everything you need in a Camelbak" but, taken in context, I don't think I said, or meant, that I was going to send the Camelbak police after you. No one else took it that way. I'm pretty sure that most people took it as a personal statement not as a personal affront.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!