patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerMike
I mean riding in complete comfort? I haven't been riding long, but I'm starting to doubt it. I've been to the LBS for a couple of fittings now and I've messed with the fit myself this winter on the trainer. Its as good as its ever been now, but I still get quite a bit of discomfort after only 15-20 minutes of riding.

I'm not going to give up. Going to try some different saddles and continue to mess with the fit, just curious if I'm chasing a ghost or not.

Mike
Hang in there. I ride 10K miles per year. No seat issues. The golden rules of seat comfort are:

1.) It's your bike shorts. Specifically the quality of the INSERT in those shorts that provides seat comfort. Be sure your shorts don't SUCK. Many of the shorts weenies wear do.

2.) It's your position. Experiement with the seat angle and position on the seatpost. Get that equation right and your seat pain may just disappear.

3.) It's your body weight. The lighter you get, the less weight on your sit bones, the less likely you will be to have any issues with seat comfort.

One of my saddles is a relatively minimalist Specialized Toupe (155 grams or so). People look at it and think it's not comfortable. I regularly ride 3-5 hours on it without a problem. Racer friends of mine have even more skimy saddles. It's generally NOT how cushy the saddle is. See 1.),2.) and 3.) above.