View Single Post
Old 04-21-06, 07:48 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Nightmare Bike lane RVA

Okay, for starters, I'd rather this thread doesn't deteriorate into a discussion of bike lanes in general-- I want it about this specific bike lane. So please, take your generalized rants to another thread; you've plenty of 'em. The lane is located on Hermitage Road in Richmond Virginia, proceeding North. It runs behind the Diamond (home of the Richmond Braves), by the Commonwealth's ABC HQ, and under the interstates 64/95 (at this point, the same road). For the record, I'm agnostic on the BL debate; I ride 'em when they are well designed and safe, but can live without them. I understand well designed ones can make some cyclists feel safer. The lane in question is pictured below.

It appears to be quite possibly the worst bike lane ever; if anyone can produce a worse one, I'd like to see it. After running on Hermitage, sometimes with as little as 12" of usable pavement (not kidding), it then, in front of the ABC HQ, reduces to simply the gutter, a wide, though broken up span of concrete. The pictures do not do it justice; it was raining today and many of the worst ruts are filled in with water.

At the next intersection, it remains, but right of a right turn only lane. Cyclists proceeding straight risk a right hook should they stay in the bike lane. Across the street the lane runs alongside street parking, creating a wonderful door zone. The parking here is usually short in term, as state employees park there to use the credit union across the street, so it's a constant parade of opening car doors, plus cars going over the lane to park.

The kicker is this-- the lane then runs under 64/95. On the far side of the underpass, a ramp exit from 64/95 empties out into the street. Should the cyclist stay in the lane on the right, both the cyclist proceeding down Hermitage and the motorist exiting onto Hermitage from 64/95 have severely limited vision, and a brief time to react to one another's presence. See the below photos for what a motorist sees in this situation. The proper (really only) way to do this stretch is to take the lane, widening the visual angles for both cyclist and motorist; the bike lane shortens these angles and creates a dangerous situation for the cyclist.

I don't think even the most irrational BL advocate can argue for this lane. I have contacted the city works department; I've said I would like to meet the engineer who designed this, to take him on a bike ride down it. They have not returned my call, and should I not recieve a call by Monday, I intend to call my city councilour and the Mayor and offer them a ride down this disaster. Failing that, my next option is a letter to the editor and contacting local advocacy groups.

I'm open to further suggestions and insight on dealing with this lane. I ride this road daily; as presently constructed, this lane is both unusable and dangerous. I'd like to keep my discussions with any representatives of the city both calm and rational, so I'd like this thread to remain so. Certainly, if you think I'm wrong and that this is a highlight of BL design, please tell me so (and please tell me why. I can't fathom an argument for this one). There are a number of other problems with the design of these lanes, but these are the major ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dscn0718.jpg (88.1 KB, 85 views)
Dscn0720.jpg (59.4 KB, 55 views)
Dscn0721.jpg (65.3 KB, 52 views)
Dscn0722.jpg (54.8 KB, 61 views)
Dscn0723.jpg (48.7 KB, 61 views)
Dscn0724.jpg (54.0 KB, 51 views)
Dscn0725.jpg (60.2 KB, 70 views)
Dscn0726.jpg (88.7 KB, 91 views)

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Last edited by Poguemahone; 04-21-06 at 08:22 PM.