View Single Post
Old 04-22-06, 05:09 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Sorry, but it's consistent with other new lanes in the city, notably on Lombardy by Virginia Union University. You'll notice there are no BL stencils on even the obvious part of the BL-- the part going on the underpass. The street was resurfaced in the last two weeks and painted on Thursday, sans any stencils. There's also a southbound lane, including a poorly designed filter lane that makes bikes block right turning trucks (of which there are plenty). Fog lanes here generally run up to the concrete gutter, as in the first four pics; it's possible that's a fog lane, as HH states, but given the stripe is well outside of the concrete gutter south of the first four pics, and the presence of the broken line on this after each intersection, it looks like the intent is a bike lane. South and North of that block certainly looks more like a BL; the Northern portion should be obvious from the above photos. I'll know more when I talk to the city designer (if they call); hopefully they won't stencil any portion of this with BL markers, but we'll see. It may be they drop the lane for a block (I hope)

The underpass has long been the most challenging section of the commute. As stated before, it really requires taking the lane, for the vision of both the freeway exiting driver and the cyclist. Many motorists give the most cursory of glances and treat the stop as at best a yeild, so it's key as a rider you have the best possible vision (ie unblocked by the bridge's structural supports). The underside of the extra span is unpaved, which is likely why the lane doesn't go there; plus it would feed out on the wrong side of the 64 exit ramp.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!