Old 04-22-06, 09:07 PM
edtrek
RPM: 85. MPH: varies.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GPS bicycle mount conflict with Garmin Legend CS / Venture CX.

I want to buy a handlebar mounted GPS unit for my bicycle rides. Here's the requirements, then I'd like to ask a question of the group: I want a GPS for long, multi-day bike rides. I want it to use generic replaceable batteries rather than proprietary rechargables. I want to be able to store multi-day, long route segments in memory; I want to use it for navigation while I'm on the ride. I also want it to record actual position tracks for subsequent mapping.

So I narrowed my search to the Garmin Legend CS and the Garmin Venture CX, and went to my local REI shop to seek their advice. The REI staffer was quite familiar with the GPS. She walked me through the two units, explained the different mapping options, and just as I was about to make the buy I asked if they stocked the bicycle mounts and a cloud passed over her face.

"There's an issue with that", she said, and explained that while the Garmin website and manuals specified using the same mounting bracket for the C* series and the rest of the product line, the CX version includes a slot for the Micro SD card inside of the waterproof gasket, and the specified rear cover can't close over the Micro SD card when it's in place. You can buy the units, but the bicycle mount won't attach to the device.

They even opened up a package containing the right mounting unit and showed me that it wouldn't work. Inside of the GPS, there's a new slot provided for the MicroSD card, and the bicycle mount's rear panel won't close if the MicroSD card is in place.

I was frustrated by the incompatibility, but felt very well served by the REI folks - no point in buying a unit and a mount, then not being able to use them on the bicycle.

Here's my questions: (thanks for your patience)
1. Does anybody have recommendations on a bike GPS that meets the above needs?
2. Anybody have an insight on using the bicycle mounts on these units with the MicroSD cards installed?