Old 04-24-06, 08:08 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Is there somehting wrong with not going as fast as you can?

Why is that so many cyclists assume that the primary purpose of cycling is to go as fast as one can. I understand that racing is a feature of cycling, but why is it assumed that we are all interested in racing. I like to go fast for the fun of it, but the last thing on my mind when I ride is achieving the highest average speed I can get. This competitive view of cycling does much to destroy the pleasure of riding with others if the others have speed in the back of their minds. We are not all racers, yet the industry assumption is that we are andthat we need all the high tech gear to go faster. As crazy as this world is, I would advocate a decrease in speed rather than an increase. Things are much too fast already. What's wrong with just crusing along at a comfortable speed? One still gets a workout, but then again, the purpose of cylcing does not appear to be just getting a workout. It's fun to ride like it's fun to walk. When I walk I don't strive to walk as fast as I can.