View Single Post
Old 04-25-06, 05:07 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Keith, you're welcome to come ride it with me and any traffic engineers/city councillours I can convince to do it. The shortcomings are noted throughly in the first post. I'm going to try and convince them to remove the northbound lane, where the worst of it is (all the above photos run North). The Southbound lane isn't a honey, but it's better.

I can't see how a BL this badly designed would encourage anyone to ride. Part of the lane is in broken gutter, it exposes cyclists to a right hook, there's a door zone, there's the limited visibility re: the off ramp.

You're right, though, it could be worse. Perhaps a couple of grates parallel to bike wheels, some debris and mud (keep in mind this street was just repaved, so there is time for all that) like you mention in your post. Perhaps the city could dig it up. Already trucks are parking in it. If you'd like mention your suggestions to make it worse, I'll mention it to the city traffic engineers, perhaps they didn't think about adding them in.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!