Old 06-08-03, 06:35 PM
TheRCF
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miles per flat

I know situations are different and what one person considers to be trashy road conditions may not be the same as another.

Nevertheless, I'd like to get some idea of how often people get flats and for better comparisons, I'd like to do it with miles. Saying "once a week" doesn't help much unless we know how many miles are ridden in a week.

I'd also like to know what kind, and size, tires you are using and whether you are using protective strips, slime, etc.

My first bike (a comfort bike) had 1.95" tires - fairly slick with knobs on the outside where they would only make contact in sand. I road 2000 miles with no flats. The tubes were slimed and they did have some kind of protective strip (very thick!).

When I switched to 1.5" tires (and no strip or slime), I got flats. I didn't keep track, but I put 1000 miles in and suppose I had at least 4 flats.

My new road bike had Continental Grand Prix 4-Season tires. No strips. I peridically got flats, though at the time I didn't keep track at first. However, at some point with 2000 miles, I started getting them a LOT. From April 7 to May 24, I had 16 flats. The last 4 or 5 were in the rear tire where I put in a Mr Tuffy strip because almost all my flats were in that tire. At least 3 of those were caused by the strip.

The front tire's last 3 flats were in a bit less than 500 miles.

The Armadillo I put on the back has 301 miles on it with no flats so far. This is much better than what I was getting on the rear over the prior 500 miles.

I am hoping to get at least 1000 miles between flats on average, but don't know if that is better than average.

Bob