View Single Post
Old 04-27-06, 03:16 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I'd say that reach is far more important than saddle height. You can always, as your bike shop did, put in a longer post but shortening or lengthing reach is very difficult. The range of stems just isn't that great.

On the seat post; I ride mountain bikes a lot. My seat post is a very long 400mm or 450mm post that is just below the minimum insertion (about 2") in the frame. I have at least 12 to 14" of post showing. It's not that big a deal. Don't be afraid of riding it because of strength issues either. I know I outweigh you by a whole lot and I've never had a post fail.
100% agree. I bought a 15" instead of the next size up- because This size fitted me, The reach was perfect but saddle too low. Easy to change a seat post. fairly simple to change the Bar stem but if the reach is comfortable- this is the right size for you. Attachment shows my 15" frame as set up for me. I even put riser bars on to bring the bar a further 1" back. Incidentally- My previous bike that also fitted me was a 17" but this is better.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-09-08 at 03:30 PM.